Valentine's Day is celebrated on February 14th of each year. Valentine's Day started with the Romans.
It is celebrated on the name of Saint Valentine's Day. Saint Valentinus performed weddings for soldiers who were not allowed to marry. He was imprisoned for this. Then Saint Valentinus wrote a letter to the daughter of his jailer before he was executed. His letter was signed ‘From your Valentine'.
He was buried on February 14th. Valentine's Day was not related to romantic love until the middle ages. From the 1700s in England, it began to resemble Valentine's Day we know today.
There are two theories about Valentine's Day.
1. History.com claims that the day derives from Lupercalia, a raucous Roman festival on February 15th where men stripped naked and spanked young maidens in the hopes of upping their fertility.
2. The second is that while the Roman Emperor Claudius II was trying to bolster his army, he forbade young men to marry because he thought that single men would make better soldiers. St. Valentine defied the ban and performed secret marriages. For his disobedience, Valentine was executed on February 14th.
We bet that you didn't know these things about Valentine's day
- Each year, kids in classrooms across America hand out Valentine's Day cards to their classmates.
- Alexander Graham Bell, applied for his telephone patent, on Valentine`s Day, 1876.
- Cupid is the son of Venus. Venus was the god of beauty and love. He is with a bow and arrows to pierce hearts and cast a spell of love
- There are at least 36 million heart-shaped boxes of chocolates sold, on Valentine`s Day every year.
Find the perfect gift for your Valentine here.
- On average, men spend double the amount of money on Valentine`s Day gifts than women do.
- There are approximately 8 billion candy hearts made each year to stretch from Valentine, Arizona to Rome, Italy, and back again.
- There are about 50 million roses given on Valentine`s Day around the world.
- Women buy approximately 85% of all Valentine`s Day cards sold. Valentine`s Day is the second most popular day of the year for sending cards, first is Christmas.
- In the U.S. alone, there are approximately 1 billion Valentine`s Day cards exchanged every year.
- Approximately 73 percent of those who buy flowers on Valentine`s Day are men.
- Every Valentine`s Day, the Italian city of Verona receives approximately 1,000 letters that have been addressed to Juliet.
- The first Valentine`s Day candy box was created by Richard Cadbury in the late 19th century.
Chocolates are the best gift to exchange on Valentine's day.
- Penicillin was introduced on February 14th in 1929.
- A 2017 study by diamond retailer James Allen found that 43% of millennials chose Valentine's Day as their top choice of day to propose or be proposed to.
- When St. Valentine was buried, after that Julia, the daughter of his jailor, planted an almond tree with pink blossoms near his grave. That’s why the almond tree today is a symbol of lasting friendship and love.